9:00am - 5:00pm

Our Opening Hours: Monday - Friday


Call Us For Consultation





Unlawful Eviction for Personal Use (N12 Notice) of Landlord

Oracle Legal Services > Blog  > Unlawful Eviction for Personal Use (N12 Notice) of Landlord

Unlawful Eviction for Personal Use (N12 Notice) of Landlord

Unlawful Eviction Personal Use N12 Notice Landlord Toronto

As a tenant, you have the right to live in your rental unit without fear of unlawful eviction. Unfortunately, some landlords may try to evict tenants without following the proper legal process, which is not only illegal, but also unfair and unethical. Oracle Legal Services, a trusted Paralegal Firm in Toronto, stands prepared to assist you in such matters. Explore further insights on this topic in this guideline.

Compensation Entitlements

If a landlord evicts a tenant for personal use and then the tenant finds out after moving out that the eviction was unlawful, the tenant may be entitled to one-year rent arrears of what the original rent was. This means that the tenant can claim the difference between what they paid in rent and what the landlord would have received if they had continued renting the unit for one year. In addition to rent arrears, the tenant may also be entitled to general damages, including human rights damages if they were seriously ill and still had to move out or if they experienced undue stress, such as postpartum depression, as a result of the eviction. 

Varied Damages & Case Factors

It’s important to note that other damages may vary on a case-by-case basis and may depend on various factors, such as the length of the tenancy, the circumstances surrounding the eviction, and the impact it had on the tenant’s life. If you are a tenant who has been unlawfully evicted, it’s important to seek legal advice and file a complaint with the Landlord and Tenant Board of Ontario. 

Gathering Evidence for Defense

It’s important to note that even if a rental property has a for sale or for rent sign, tenants can still be subject to unfair eviction. If you have vacated your rental unit due to a Landlord Notice N12 and you suspect that your landlord has evicted you for their personal gain and subsequently raised the rent, it is important to gather evidence to support your case. A picture of a sign or notice posted at the rental unit, or an online advertisement can serve as strong proof of your landlord’s actions and can be presented to the Landlord and Tenant Board. In such cases, we handle the matter on a contingency fee basis, meaning you do not need to pay any fees upfront and only pay legal fees if we win your case.

The Board is responsible for resolving disputes between landlords and tenants and can assist in enforcing your rights. Remember, as a tenant, you have the right to live in your rental unit without fear of unlawful eviction. 

Protect Your Rights & Contact Oracle Legal Services

If you believe your rights as a tenant have been violated through unlawful eviction, don’t hesitate to reach out to Oracle Legal Services. Our experienced team is ready to guide you if you need landlord and tenant paralegal help in Toronto. To inquire further about information, support and legal representation, contact our team at 647-872-3484 to book a consultation.